Math 120 HONORS

Introduction to Statistics - HONORS

Course #5846 (1 unit)

Course Syllabus

Spring 2005

 

 


Instructor:  Stephen Toner

Class Hours: MW: 11:15 am – 12:10 pm

Room:  bldg. 10, room 8

Web Page:  http://www.stevetoner.com 

email:  toners@vvc.edu

VVC voicemail:    245-4271 ext. 2770          

Office:  bldg. 30, office U

Office Hours: T,W,Th: 11:15 am – 12:00 pm

                        Wed: 2:05 pm – 4:00 pm

MyMathLab ID: toner57337


 

 

Spring Calendar:        Feb 21                President’s Day Holiday

                                 Mar 25-Apr 3     Spring Break

                                 May 3                 Last day to drop and receive a “W” grade

                                 May 30               Memorial Day Holiday

                                 Jun 6                   Last Day of Class        

 

 

Required Textbook:  How to Lie with Statistics, by Darrell Huff

 

Course Description:  This course supplements the material in the regular Math 120 course.  In addition, this Honors component will include the design of surveys, probability testing, and a research project.

 

 

You are required to attend class every day.  After 1 hour of absence, you may be dropped from this class.  It is your responsibility to keep your enrollment status current.  You risk an “F” if you stop attending without officially withdrawing. 

 

 

Grading Policies:  Your grade in the honors section will count as 20% of your grade.  Your grade in the “regular” Math 120 section will count as the other 80% of your grade.  Your grade will then be based on the grading scale from your Math 120 teacher.  Together, you will receive one grade for a five-unit honors course.

 

The Honors component of your grade will consist of three categories, worth 100 points each: 

Ø      Chapter write-ups for each chapter of “How to Lie with Statistics”

Ø      Activity and participation points for in-class and HW activities (10 points each, drop lowest)

Ø      A Project (90 points written, 10 points presentation)

 

Homework:

For each chapter of How to Lie with Statistics, you will write a short paragraph telling why you think the author titled the chapter as he did.  You will also choose the example in the chapter that meant the most to you, in terms of relaying the author’s main point of the chapter, and elaborate on its practical application.  Late write-ups will not be accepted.  If you are absent, please e-mail it to me by the deadline.

 

Class activities are meant to be done together as a class.  Some will require that you finish the work started in class; others will be completed within the class meeting itself.  Due to their nature, there will be no make-ups for these activities.  The lowest (or missed) score in this category will be dropped prior to computing your grade.
Tentative Class Schedule

 

 

 

Sections to be Covered In Class

To be turned in….

M

2/14

First week of Regular classes – no class meeting

 

M

2/21

President’s Day Holiday – no class meeting

 

M

2/28

Introduction, Activity #1

 

M

3/7

Activity #2

HTL, Ch. 1

M

3/14

Activity #3

HTL, Ch. 2

M

3/21

Activity #4

HTL, Ch. 3

M

3/28

Spring Break – no class meeting

 

M

4/4

Activity #5

HTL, Ch. 4

M

4/11

Activity #6

HTL, Ch. 5

M

4/18

Activity #7

HTL, Ch. 6

M

4/25

Activity #8

HTL, Ch. 7

M

5/2

Activity #9

HTL, Ch. 8

M

5/9

Activity #10

HTL, Ch. 9

M

5/16

Assign / Discuss Project

HTL, Ch. 10

M

5/23

Activity #11

 

M

5/30

Memorial Day – no class meeting

 

M

6/6

Turn in/ present class projects

Project

 

 

Attendance Policy:  Class attendance is not a measure of performance or proficiency.  Whether a student is just physically present in the class is not a valid basis for grading.  Reference Title 5 Section 55002 of the California Code of Regulations: (A) Grading Policy.  The course provides for measurement of student performance in terms of stated course objectives and culminates in a formal, permanently recorded grade based upon uniform standards in accordance with section 55758 of this Division. The grade is based on demonstrated proficiency in the subject matter and the ability to demonstrate that proficiency, at least in part, by means of written expression that may include essays, or, in courses where the curriculum committee deems them to be appropriate, by problem solving exercises or skills demonstrations by students.